07 January 2009

Brown Paper Packages Tied Up With Strings...

favorite things

These days are so grey and gloomy I hardly have the energy to put on a cute outfit or browse my usual fashion sites. This time of year seems to always bring a creative drought for one reason or another. Winter is dragging on, spring is not yet on the horizon and the cold seems to be invading my very bones. Here are a few of my favorite things I've been dreaming about to keep my spirits up:
  • Antique Steiff animals - what's cuter than these vintage German stuffed animals? Not much, I tell ya'!
  • This girl's outfit from Stockholm Streetstyle - it's everything I love right now from the color palette to the bow at her neck to the flowers in her hair.
  • Lindsay Pemberton's teacup bracelets - she cuts off the tops of vintage teacups with a diamond saw and makes pretty bangle bracelets from them. Genius!
  • Lace Tape from Matter - what a pretty way to dress up my brown paper packages.
  • Raven hangers from Birkiland - wouldn't it be even more fun to get dressed in the morning if your clothes were hanging on ravens? Maybe I'd even get around to putting my laundry away more often.
  • Miamizeiss' fashion set on flickr - I especially love the clothes in this shot.
  • The Selby - I love the voyeurism of being able to peek into other people's homes. Especially when those people are amazing, talented artists.
  • Terrariums - I'd like to think of myself as one of those people with a green thumb, but the truth is, I've killed every house plant I've ever had. I think I could handle one of these pretty little terrariums.
  • Audubon bird prints - I'm a sucker for anything vintage-bird related. Someday I hope to have a wall covered in framed prints like this.

14 comments:

Ulicam said...

the girl from stockholm streetstyle has a blog, if you didn't already know:
http://www.miriamskafferep.blogspot.com/

Jessica said...

wow, the tea cup bangles are such a pretty idea! i set out to make a few terrariums last weekend, but wasn't able to find the right size plants. maybe this weekend...

meg said...

okay, this is getting totally weird for me. i discovered your blog and thought it was so cool that you are from bama (like me) and all day today i've been singing that song and have been wandering around my house taking photos of my favorite household thrift finds to do this post with the title "snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes" and now i log on to post it and here is yours.... eerie.

Sally Jane Vintage said...

Ulicam: Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely check that out.

Sacaton June: If you make some, post photos! I haven't tried my hand at it yet, but I'm excited to try.

thefashionmaven: That's so strange! I almost went with "raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens". Ha!

Anonymous said...

The Selby is love <3

Zornitsa said...

Thank you for sharing this

Anonymous said...

...these are a few of my favorite things! (sorry, I couldn't help it) :-)

I ran across that girls photo earlier this morning on Stockholm Street Style & I absolutely loved it. I did my hair like that once and received alot of compliments on it.

Those tea cup bracelets are fabulous!

Anonymous said...

oo the tea cup bracelets are fantastic I want one :)

Melissa said...

I'm new to reading your blog, but it will certainly be a daily visit! How lovely it is!

Anonymous said...

I love the antique Steiff Bambi! So cute!! Really like the Terraniums, I'm tempted to make one for my mum for her birthday. I'm not green fingered at all but she is so maybe if I make it and give it to her real quick it'll have a chance of survival :D

esme and the laneway said...

What a lovely collection of things! I really, really like those bird hangers – what a nice idea. I love the terrariums too.

And if it's any consolation at this part of the Northern Hem. winter (which I know all too well), yesterday I wore woollen tights + woollen long socks to keep warm – in the middle of our Aussie summer!

devaneante said...

Hello ;) I have to say that bookshelf is beuatifullllll!!! I love it! And I really like your blog ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this!! There's a lot of "inspiration" posts out there, but this one was really awesome-- I have far too many bookmarks now. You have great taste!

amy merrick said...

I'm so happy you liked my terrarium article! Post some photos if you try to make some, please!