17 May 2010

Coming down with fire, to lift my spirit higher...

a

photos by Tom b.

- H&M dress
- leather & wood 70s sandals
- 70s tooled leather purse
- AA floppy hat
- listening to: Rainbow "Man on the Silver Mountain"

b

After a week of post-vacation recovery, we're finally back to li-ife, back to reality. Yesterday's reality was in the form of painting all of our new windows and trim. Today will be spent taking photos for the shop, listening to Rainbow, Dio and Black Sabbath (Ronnie James era), and watching the baby birds hop around in our backyard (two so far!).

c

These photos were taken just after the rain stopped on our first day in 'Bama. It was all hot and sticky and muggy and gave me my first reminder of what my hair looks like when the humidity kicks in. Speaking of hair, several of you asked about my trip-long-hair-washing-strike. The truth is, I didn't really plan it that way. I think I was just too lazy to wash it all week. Ha, ha. But really, the trick is using dry shampoo. Tom hears me in the bathroom all "shrrsss, shrrsss" (that's supposed to be the sounds of the aerosol can) and always comments about my "newly washed hair".

I've tried a few kinds and my favorite so far is T3. I buy it at Sephora and it's available online as well. Some of the first ones I tried were a little too old-lady smelling. I may like to dress like an old lady, but I don't want to smell like one! I use the Auburn one but it comes in all colors. Since it has a bit of color to it, you can use it for several days and it doesn't leave that white powdery look on your scalp. Trust me, not a good look. It also helps cover my roots in between dyes. Just be sure not to miss your hair and accidentally spray it on your forehead. It will leave a big brown splotch on your skin. Not that I would know that from experience or anything. ;)

d

25 comments:

Carys said...

Such beautiful photos, I love your outfit, particularly that amazing hat!!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

Susi said...

Sally Jane!!! Loving the pictures and the whole outfit from head to toe. How can anyone be so dainty? Gorgeous!!!

Anja Verdugo said...

Man, I am already missing my humidity hair so much!! It looked awesome in Louisiana and now I am in post-vacation bummer mode, ha. Great photos, love that hat on you!

anne said...

such lovely photos!
i'm in love with your hat. i need one! :D

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

I suppose you are the sunshine after the rain ceased!!! lovely as always!

Rosie said...

You look fantastic! I'm going to have to try some dry shampoo at some point thanks for all the pointers!

bravegrrl said...

love your sandals :)

kathy said...

Love the hat, and the dress (i can't believe it's h&m!) I think i'll have to go and get some dry shampoo before glasto this year xx

http://5678vintage.blogspot.com/

Diana said...

The sandals are gorgeous! Love them!

Diana
http://thegirloverboard.tumblr.com

Lisa said...

Beautiful pics and I love your hat. Just wanted to let you know I received my rare treasure vintage sweater that I won on your blog and just styled it. I love it..Thank you both!

Zoë, Lion Heart Vintage said...

ohhh yep, another gorgeous outfit from SJV. love the brown hues with your skin and hair, it just goes beautifully!

great shots against the pink flowers too!

Anonymous said...

This looks so whimsical! I love your bag.

Marnie said...

So next question... Do you color your hair at home? semi-permanent or permanent? if so, which brand/color do you use? We have almost the same hair color now, and I pay to get it done. Curious about some other options! :)

Gracie said...

What lovely photos, they're just darling. and you always look just perfect for the situation! love love love

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!!....i love this girl and her style too...
kiss Sally
http://www.teafortwo.com.br/adorevintage

Kiss
Stephanie padilha

Annalise said...

You look really peaceful and lovely in these photos. I just adore them!
XOXO

the spectator said...

I heard that Ron James Dio died over the weekend of stomach cancer.

Jenni said...

Your outfit is great, and your hair is great! I've been meaning to try dry shampoo, mostly because I'm too lazy to style my hair. I've heard this kind is pretty decent, and it's cheaper than the Sephora kind in any event:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=187748&catid=131704

Unknown said...

I LOVE the color of yor hair and you look as lovely as always :)

Manja said...

That leather purse and your sandals are so pretty!

Silvia Soler said...

I love your style!!!!
Your blog is very interesting, I love vintage style and clothes and I found a lot interesting vintage brands in your blog :)

Kisses!!
Silvia
http://cosasquemealegraneldia.blogspot.com/

MOUSEVOX VINTAGE said...

Dry shampoo and I are friends. After the recent flooding in Nashville and dealing with a major water shortage though, I am all about washing my hair again!

Änn said...

oh your blog ist so great..and this dress looks soo cute. where are you come from?

sr., my english is not the best...

greetings;)

katecreate said...

I adore your pictures and your blog.

Matthew Spade said...

you look a treat