24 May 2012

Backyard Garden


a

While we were away, I missed two things in particular.  One was our cats.  Those furry creatures are such a big part of our everyday routine.  The other thing was my mornings in the backyard.  I usually wake, grab some breakfast and then head out the back door with Jack (the one eyed pirate cat) to see what's blooming, what's growing and what needs tending to.  I missed that routine and couldn't wait to get home and see how big everything had gotten in the two weeks we were gone.  I think Jack missed it too since he's been sitting at the backdoor meowing a lot the past couple of days.

I was pleasantly surprised that most everything had thrived.  I spied a couple of tiny peppers growing and a few green tomatoes on the vine.  They'll be used to make fresh salsa when they're ripe.  This is the first year I've tried growing Brussels sprouts and the plants doubled in size.  All of the herbs are ready to be used and we had fresh cilantro with our black beans last night.  It's already starting to bolt, but that's OK since it will give me some fresh coriander and I'll replant the rest of the seeds.  Jack, of course, enjoyed a bit of catnip from his plant this morning.

In case you're wondering what everything is, from top to bottom, left to right:  mint, huechera (or coral bells),  impatiens, brunneria, creeping jenny, fuschia, hydrandgea, chives, cilantro, basil, catnip, Brussels sprouts, roma tomatoes, blueberries, yellow Hungarian wax peppers, jalapenos and Jack. 

Untitled-1

13 comments:

Maria Filar said...

how funny, i have a black one-eyed cat, also!
your garden is beautiful, I love growing fresh herbs for cooking :)

Hope Thompson said...

Garden stuff, yay! I have my first tomato growing too, as well as lots of teensy little cucumbers. It's always exciting to see the first things start to grow.

sweet harvest moon said...

Welcome back! Such a cute kitty :)

Anonymous said...

This is just plain weird because I also enjoy my garden time with a one eye black cat. His name is Nick though. The pictures make me happy.

http://asthecrowflies.typepad.com/blog/

Chaucee said...

What a beautiful little patch you have! Gorgeous.

emcee L7 said...

oh i'm so jealous of your garden. i just moved in with my friend who has a backyard and i'm planning on growing a bunch of herbs and flowers and vegetables depending on how well everything grows.

Irusja said...

Great inspiration!

http://inelegancewetrust.blogspot.de/

the spectator said...

Great garden photos. Everything looks so healthy.

And at long last. A photo of your cats! I wondered what happened to those fellas!

Unknown said...

It's always so special having your own garden - especially herbs!

xxx
www.ladyalamode.com

Julie said...

Hi!! :]

I really like your blog, I'm following you :D

Maybe if you have time, you could visit my blog too and, if you like it, follow me back ;)

wear-more-green.blogspot.com

Marie said...

Beautiful, and the best shot was the last!
Marie @
Lemondrop ViNtAge

Rosaspina Vintage said...

I'm sure Jack has missed your backyard routine too, looking at him now he sounds like "ahhh. everything's back to normal now"! :)
Cats are so sweet and expressive.

Ale
x

Lisa Price said...

Gorgeous garden! Your blog is fabulous.

Xo,
Lisa

www.lisapriceinc.com
@LPriceSOright