03 July 2012

Paris! Ooh La La!


a

After a few cloudy grey days in London we took the Chunnel to Paris.  I thought the Chunnel would be a bit scary, but it was actually quite a boring ride.  At the exact minute we were scheduled to arrive, we pulled into the train station and I stepped into mainland Europe for the first moment in my life.  Here are a few photos and notes about our first couple of days in Paris.
  • The city was a bit intimidating to navigate at first, but once we got our Metro passes and figured out the train routes it was quite easy. 
  • One day we bought Batobus tickets so we could hop on and off the water bus as it circled round and round the Seine.  
  • There are literally cafes on every corner.  That is not an exaggeration.  I did not eat any macaroons, but I did have more than my fair share of crepes and croissants.  
  • The Simpsons is still funny, even when overdubbed in French. 
  • We enjoyed the times we spent exploring the neighborhood where our hotel was located (the Latin Quarter) more than the time we spent doing the touristy stuff we tried out. 
  • Vintage shops were either full of junky 70s polyester for relatively cheap, or  beautifully curated and way out of my price range.  I think everything I like was close to 120 euros!
  • We went to the top of the Arc de Triomphe, but not the Eiffel Tower.  The line was too long! 
 b

11 comments:

Jo - Lost in the Haze said...

Gosh, it is truly the prettiest city! I think I'd be like you too - and be constantly munching away on croissants! Maybe even a wee bit of brie too ; )

x
Lost in the Haze: a Fashion Photography Blog

Naomi said...

How great! I really enjoyed reading about your travels, and your pictures are lovely too.

Sierra said...

These photos are all so beautiful! I love these peeks into your European vacation. The only overseas traveling that I have done was an eight-day trip to Greece in 2008, and I have been dying to go back ever since. My next trip will have to be Ireland (I have to see the motherland!) or Germany, to visit a couple of friends who live there. What is your favorite European country or city?

http://viennawaitsblog.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I'm supposed to go to Paris on July.
I can't wait to go to "Le Marais" to see all the vintage shops :)

Anonymous said...

I'm supposed to go to Paris on July.
I can't wait to go to "Le Marais" to see all the vintage shops :)

Anonymous said...

Love the Louvre pics - tres chic non?

Anna said...

Stunning photos, love your blog. Its utterly stunning. I cant wait to see future posts.
Anna

http://opshopaholic.blogspot.co.nz/

Anonymous said...

Oh yes I totally agree: vintage shops here are definitely much too expensive, there is only 80's stuff, some 70's from time to time, but nothing to do with what you can get for the same price in London or US...

But still, I hope you enjoyed you stay :)

all the best from Paris

tsukikoforvoriagh.com

Robin said...

I would love to go to france I've always wanted to go to nice. In paris. I don't think I would bother with tourist attractions unless its the off season. England is where I really want go!"

Marlen said...

you take such pretty, creative photos. the city is gorgeous, without saying, but i especially love that lost shot of the curtains. it makes me feel like i'm there!

Jenn from Fashion and Fringe said...

Oooh-la-la! That photo of the lace covered window captures the essence of Paree for me!